IBM Connections Component Pack 6.0.0.6 – reveal the elasticsearch secret

In order to combine elasticsearch and Connections you need some of the elasticsearch certificates. With version < 6.0.0.6 those certificates could be found in /opt/certs. With the latest release, they are created directly into your kubernetes cluster.

With this simple line, created by Toni Feric, you can export the certs


kubectl -n connections get secret elasticsearch-secret -o json | egrep '\.txt|\.p12|\.key|\.pem' | sed -e 's/^ *//' -e 's/,$//' -e 's/"//g' | awk -F':' '{print "echo"$2" | base64 -d >"$1}' | bash

The result should look like this:

IBM Component Pack 6.0.0.6 – quest for the missing elasticsearchsecret

Now the Customizer is up and running. Now I tried to put the elasticsearch stack. Following the IBM documentation, I was able to add a new worker node, dedicated solely for elasticsearch.
Putting the additional images in my dockerregistry, installing the helm charts. So far so good. But my es-master, es-data and es-client would not start. The log revealed the missing elasticsearch-secret. After some hints from Nico directing my search to the connections-env part. There’s parameter “createSecret=false” which drew my attention.

A short helm delete connections-env --purge and reinstall of the connections-env with createSecret=true did the trick.

IBM Connections Component Pack 6 Installation – Customizer

Today I tried to install a small POC environment for the Customizer only. 1 master node and 2 workers.
Following the IBM documentation is straight forward. In my POC I relied on the Deploying a non-HA Kubernetes platform path.
I went through the docs and copied all the pieces into a couple of shell scripts. So I’d be able to restart from scratch if something goes wrong.

The only point I had issues was on how to setup the docker image registry. For my POC I did not want to fiddle around with certificates. So I decided to follow this link. If I had updated the daemon.json file on every worker node too, I would have been much more efficient. After this little change, my worker nodes were finally able to pull the images.

Despite the documentaions first impression, the overall installation experience was interesting.

At the moment I only run the customizer on my POC environment. After a clean reboot all 3 Nodes take less then 8GB ram. Lets see how this will raise if I start using the the customizer tomorrow.