Connections Customizer Lite

As we are currently only using the Customizer from the stack formerly known as pink (sfkap) I was suprised to find the Customizer Lite in the downloads. As my connections 6 lab is running with the sfkap I decided to give my Connections 5.5 Lab an upgrade. The installationexperience was ok. It’s not HA, but that’s ok, as my lab is not HA either.
I only added an nginx reverse proxy on the same box. It should also be possible to run a dockerized nginx if needed, but I’m happy with the nginx on the host.

Applying some basic customizations, adding css or js files , seems to work with Connections 5.5.

In my opinion the effort to setup the customizer lite and use it, compared to fiddle around with hikariTheme/custom.css and some nasty javascripts/dojo plugins, is ok.

Time to play around…

IBM Connections Component Pack 6.0.0.6 – reveal the elasticsearch secret

In order to combine elasticsearch and Connections you need some of the elasticsearch certificates. With version < 6.0.0.6 those certificates could be found in /opt/certs. With the latest release, they are created directly into your kubernetes cluster.

With this simple line, created by Toni Feric, you can export the certs


kubectl -n connections get secret elasticsearch-secret -o json | egrep '\.txt|\.p12|\.key|\.pem' | sed -e 's/^ *//' -e 's/,$//' -e 's/"//g' | awk -F':' '{print "echo"$2" | base64 -d >"$1}' | bash

The result should look like this:

IBM Connections Component Pack 6 Installation – Customizer

Today I tried to install a small POC environment for the Customizer only. 1 master node and 2 workers.
Following the IBM documentation is straight forward. In my POC I relied on the Deploying a non-HA Kubernetes platform path.
I went through the docs and copied all the pieces into a couple of shell scripts. So I’d be able to restart from scratch if something goes wrong.

The only point I had issues was on how to setup the docker image registry. For my POC I did not want to fiddle around with certificates. So I decided to follow this link. If I had updated the daemon.json file on every worker node too, I would have been much more efficient. After this little change, my worker nodes were finally able to pull the images.

Despite the documentaions first impression, the overall installation experience was interesting.

At the moment I only run the customizer on my POC environment. After a clean reboot all 3 Nodes take less then 8GB ram. Lets see how this will raise if I start using the the customizer tomorrow.